Respiratory Nurse Specialist
Objective of the role
- People with Chronic Respiratory Conditions are more effectively managed in Primary care, by GPs and Practice Nurses have update evidence-based respiratory knowledge.
- The Respiratory Nurse Specialist is employed to:
- Educate our nurses in General Practice so that patients can receieve the right treatment – better advice for asthma and related respiratory conditions
- Provide Spirometry services in a mobile clinic
- Provide up to date information
How to access services
Contact your GP or Nurse who can assist you with your education and treatment needs in this area.
A referral to the specialist nurse can be made by your GP or Nurse to :
Marilyn Dyer: 021 711 567 Phone: 09 408 3142 ext. 109 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary Health Care Service Information
- Reduce hospital admission rates, acute GP and Casualty visits
- For patients to have information and services at their fingertips so they can ‘Manage their health’ better .
- Ensure Practice Nurse knowledge of Chronic Respiratory conditions meets competent levels of Respiratory knowledge and skills.
- Mentoring and coaching support to practice nurses in the care of patients with Respiratory conditions.
- Promote a Respiratory Champion/ resource for each practice.
- Ensure a Spirometry testing service is readily available in all areas – within practices.
- Assist in setting up Nurse-led Respiratory Clinics in the larger practices and in those remote areas with small practices – to set up a centralised Respiratory clinic.
- Play a part in the Pulmonary Rehab Programmes
- Organising and co-facilitating the Asthma and COPD fundamentals throughout TTTPHO- to support all practice nurses towards proficiency.
- Promote self management of Chronic Respiratory conditions through the Whakamana Hauora Courses in Te Tai Tokerau PHO
- Promoting and co-ordinating Spirometry Training for interested Practice Nurses.
- Emphasis is on all Practice Nurses to have completed a 12 hr fundamentals course to the Proficient level.