The aim of this service is to provide a comprehensive and culturally appropriate clinical dietetic service to meet the needs of patients enrolled within Te Tai Tokerau Primary Health rohe throughout the mid and far north.
Involvement in health promotion activities and community development initiatives are also important components of the role.
The dietitian for Te Tai Tokerau PHO is Katie Taylor who works with patients referred from general practice and Maori health providers.
Katie can be contacted by email: Katie Taylor
Individual consultations are available for adults who need more than basic healthy eating advice. Whanau/and or support people are encouraged, and welcome to attend.
Your GP or nurse can refer you if you are ready to make changes to your diet. Suitable referrals include people who are ready to change and have:
- Attended a Whakamana Hauora self management course and require further advice
- Obesity in pregnancy
- A gastrointestinal condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome
- Food allergies/intolerances
- Nutrition related anaemia
- Families referred from before school checks (B4SC)
- Pre diabetes or Type 2 diabetes
- COPD which is managed by a GP
- Have a chronic condition and need a nutrition assessment or specialised advice.
- Underweight especially in the elderly
Excluded from this service:
- People who are not willing/able to commit to making behaviour changes at this time
- People who can be referred to dietitian services in Northland Health (this includes people with complicated diabetes, those referred for bariatric surgery, and those who have recently been discharged from hospital)
- People under the care of NHDB: gastronenterology, oncology, renal, COPD
- Palliative Care
- Eating disorders eg anorexia
- People who live in a rest home
- ACC referrals
- Sports Nutrition
Clinic locations are:
Kaitaia: Te Hiku Te Hauora GP Clinic, 49 Redan Road, Kaitaia
Kerikeri: Te Tai Tokerau PHO Office, 2 Clark Rd, Kerikeri
Kaikohe: Broadway Health Centre, 36 Lower Broadway, Kaikohe ph 09 401 1556
Kawakawa: Bay of Islands Hospital, Hospital Rd, Kawakawa
Kaeo: Whangaroa Health Services, Kaeo ph 09 405 0541